The NWSBA's 20th Annual Mock Trial Invitational will be held on
Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Third Municipal District Courthouse
2121 Euclid Avenue
Rolling Meadows, IL 600058
Registration - 3:30 PM
Round 1 - 4:00 PM
Round 2 - 5:25 PM
Awards Reception & Dinner - 7:00 PM
Team Roster Form (Excel Spreadsheet)
2016 Mock Trial Problem - ISBA Web Site
2016 Final Results
WHAT MAKES OUR PROGRAM UNIQUE?
- Unlike many mock trial competitions that are held in classrooms or school lunchrooms, the NWSBA competition is held at the Third Municipal District Courthouse in Rolling Meadows, IL.
- The Honorable William O. Maki, Presiding Judge of the Third Municipal District, is one of twelve Cook County judges who preside over the courtroom competitions.
- More than 35 members of the NWSBA volunteer to be scoring judges for the competition. In all, more than 45 members volunteer their time for this event.
- The Invitational is sponsored by the Northwest Suburban Bar Association and funded, in part, with a grant from the Illinois State Bar Association.
- Participating schools can qualify for State and National competitions by participating in the NWSBA Mock Trial.
RULES FOR REGISTRATION:
- The competition is limited to 24 teams.
- Registrations are accepted only via fax or email.
- Fax/email must include a PDF attachment of the completed NWSBA Registration Form.
If your school has a 2nd team:
- Your registration form does not automatically register your 2nd team in the competition.
- 2nd teams will be allowed only in the event we have 23 or fewer teams registering, or a team cancels leaving an uneven field.
- If we have space for 2nd teams, you will be notified by email.
- Registrations for 2nd teams will be honored according to the date and time indicated on the returned email response to the call for 2nd teams, not by the date of your original registration.
NEW THIS YEAR: Rosters are due no later than February 10, 2016 and must be submitted using the Excel spreadsheet (see link above).
Team Cancellation Policy: In the event the NWSBA is forced to cancel a team due to a last minute cancellation by another school, the process will be as follows (without exception):
- 2nd teams eliminated first as determined by date/time of response to call for 2nd teams. The last team to respond will be first team to be eliminated. IF NO 2ND TEAMS ARE IN THE COMPETITION, then
- Determined by date/time indicated on initial/original faxed or emailed registration form. The last team to respond/register will be the first team to be eliminated.
SCOUTING & OBSERVATION: Competing schools are prohibited from scouting or otherwise observing other schools for the purpose of gaining advantage for Round 2.
WEATHER RELATED CANCELLATION POLICY: This information is being provided in case of severe/inclement
weather conditions on the day of the event. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE
COMPETITION WILL TAKE PLACE AS LONG AS WE HAVE TEAMS THERE TO COMPETE!
- The only exception
would be in the event the courthouses are closed. This decision is made
by the Circuit Court of Cook County Chief Judge's office.
- Please consult media outlets for any courthouse closings.
- We will also post any cancellations on our Website: www.nwsba.org.
- We will only post something in the event the competition is CANCELLED.
CELL PHONES AND ELECTRONIC DEVICES POLICY: Only
coaches and/or chaperones will be allowed to bring cell phones into the
courthouse. In December 2012, Circuit
Court of Cook County Chief Judge Timothy C. Evans signed an order banning all
electronic devices (including but not limited to cell phones, computers, iPads,
devices capable of connecting to the Internet or making audio or video
recordings) from Cook County courthouses where criminal matters are
heard. This ban affects the Third District Courthouse in Rolling
Meadows. In order to get all schools and volunteers through
Security in a timely manner, we ask that you leave all electronic devices as
well as any items that are not essential to your presentation, at home, on
your bus, or in your vehicles. Finally, no outside food or drinks
will be allowed past the Security point.
BUS PARKING: Buses should be instructed to park on the access road which runs parallel to Euclid Avenue, near the corner of Euclid and Wilke Roads.
SCHOOL ROSTERS ARE DUE NO LATER THAN
FEBRUARY 10, 2015