What Makes Our Program Unique:
- Unlike many Mock Trial competitions that are held in classrooms or school lunchrooms, the NWSBA competition is held at the Third Municipal District Courthouse in Rolling Meadows, IL.
- The Honorable William O. Maki, Presiding Judge of the Third Municipal District, is one of nine Cook County judges who preside over the courtroom competitions.
- More than 30 members of the NWSBA volunteer to be scoring judges for the competition.
- The Invitational is sponsored by the Northwest Suburban Bar Association Foundation and funded in part with a grant from the Illinois State Bar Association.
- Participating schools can qualify for State and National competitions by participating in the NWSBA Mock Trial.
Rules for Registration:
The NWSBA will limit the number of teams to 24. Registration will be conducted on a first come, first served basis and will be limited to one team per school. If your school has an additional team, please indicate that on the registration form. In the event we have an odd number of schools, we will allow a second team to compete (see below). Registration forms must be received by December 1, 2013.
• Registrations accepted via Fax or Email only
• Emails must include a PDF attachment of the NWSBA Registration Form
If your school has a 2nd team:
• This does not automatically register your 2nd team in the competition.
• 2nd teams will be allowed only in the event we have 23 or fewer teams registered, or a team cancels leaving an uneven field.
• Emails will be sent out by the NWSBA to call for second teams.
• Registrations for 2nd teams will be honored according to the Date and Time indicated on the returned email response to the call for 2nd teams. Not by the date of original registration.
TEAM CANCELLATION POLICY: In the event the NWSBA needs to cancel a team due to a last minute cancellation by a school, the process will be as follows (without exception):
• 2nd teams eliminated first as determined by Date/Time of response to call for 2nd teams. The last team to respond will be first team to be eliminated. IF NO 2ND TEAMS ARE IN THE COMPETITION, then
• Determined by date/time indicated on initial/original faxed or emailed registration form. The last team to respond will be the first team eliminated.
- SCOUTING & OBSERVATION: Competing schools are prohibited from scouting or otherwise observing other schools for the purposes of gaining advantage for Round 2.
- ELECTRONIC DEVICES. Only coaches and/or chaperones will be allowed to bring cell phones into the courthouse. In December of 2012, Circuit Court of Cook County Chief Judge Timothy C. Evans signed an order banning all electronic devices (including but not limited to cell phones, computers, iPads, devices capable of connecting to the Internet or making audio or video recordings) from Cook County courthouses where criminal matters are heard. This ban affects the Third District Courthouse in Rolling Meadows. In order to get all schools and volunteers through Security in a timely manner, we ask that you leave all electronic devices as well as any items that are not essential to your presentation, at home, on your bus, or in your vehicles.
- INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: This information is being provided in case of severe/inclement weather conditions on the day of the event. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE COMPETITION WILL TAKE PLACE AS LONG AS WE HAVE TEAMS THERE TO COMPETE!
• The only exception would be in the event the courthouses are closed. This decision is made by the Circuit Court of Cook County Chief Judge's office.
• Please consult media outlets for any courthouse closings.
• We will also post any cancellations on our Website: www.nwsba.org.
• We will only post something in the event the competition is CANCELLED.
- BUS PARKING: Buses should be instructed to park on the Access Road which runs parallel to Euclid Avenue, near the corner of Euclid and Wilke Road.
NEW THIS YEAR: The NWSBA is offering the opportunity for schools, family and/or friends to submit “congratulatory messages” in our program booklet. A pricing sheet has been included on the Home Page of our website. We ask as a coach or school administrator that you please distribute this form to each participant and their families.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at 847-221-2601 or at email@example.com. We look forward to seeing you and your students at the competition!
Due to staffing limitations
School Rosters are due by
NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 1, 2014
Substitutions may be made on the day of the event.
A LINK TO ALL FORMS CAN BE FOUND ON OUR HOME PAGE.