LEGAL OPINIONS, BRIEFS & UPDATES
From time to time, the NWSBA will post important information that we feel might benefit our membership. Please see the following:
- Supreme Court Rules 11, 12 and 131 Amended
Rule #11 (Method of Service) addresses Mandatory E-Mail Service.
- ARDC Information for Lawyers Who Accept Debit and Credit Card Payments
- General Administrative Order No: 2012-8 - Cell Phones and Other Electronic Devices
- E-Discovery Alert for Criminal Practitioners
The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals has issued a decision that every criminal practitioner should be made aware of. The Court ruled that a person under investigation for child pornography is not required to unlock his computer’s hard drives for the federal investigators. The suspect cannot be forced to turn over encryption codes or passwords in a criminal investigation. The ruling is based on the 5th Amendment which provides that no one “shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself.” The Court stated, “the 5th Amendment protects (the suspect’s) refusal to decrypt and produce the contents of the media devices” which the feds believed contained child pornography. This ruling will have a chilling effect on law enforcement activities. Can it also apply to passwords to cell phones or other devices? U.S.A vs. John Doe, Case No. 11-12268, 2/23/12. (Submitted by George Bellas)
- People of the State of Illinois (Plaintiff) vs. Michael Vollmer (Defendant)
- Cook County State's Attorneys Office Deferred Prosecution Program
- Sample Motion for Sanctions - courtesy of David B. Franks, Franks & Rechenberg, P.C
2014 MOCK TRIAL INVITATIONAL
OUR FIELD OF TEAMS IS FULL!
ALL REGISTRATIONS RECEIVED
AS OF DECEMBER 9, 2013
WILL BE PLACED ON A WAIT LIST.
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Third Municipal District Courthouse, Rolling Meadows, IL
3:30 PM Registration
ALL REGISTRATIONS ARE DUE BY DECEMBER 1, 2013
We will accept the first 24 teams to respond, as indicated by the date/time
of the email or fax submission.
Emails must include a PDF attachment of the Registration Form.
ATTENTION: ALL PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS:
- Please take a moment to thoroughly review the Invitation Letter and Registration Form.
- Check our website within 24 hours of your Registration to ensure your school is on our list. If your school is not listed, call the Association office immediately.
- Please distribute the Congratulatory Ad & Pricing Sheet to your participants and their families.
- Guerin College Prep High School
- Maine West High School
- Homewood-Flossmoor High School
- Niles West High School
- York Community High School
- Timothy Christian High School
- Maine East High School
- Chicago Christian High School
- Highland Park High School
- Benet Academy
- Maine South High School
- St. Charles North High School
- St. Charles East High School
- Normal West High School
- Willowbrook High School
- Normal Community High School
- Evanston Township High School
- Libertyville High School
- Uno Garcia High School
- Huntley High School
- Deerfield High School
- Hinsdale South High School
- Glenbard South High School
- Bartlett High School